The Digital Humanities and Journalism group at the INSIGHT National Centre for Data Analytics @NUI Galway is seeking an outstanding candidate for a Research Assistant position in the Social Semantic Journalism realm. The successful candidates will work on a project in collaboration with the Irish national broadcaster, RTÉ, on ‘social news detection and contextualisation’. The project is jointly funded by RTÉ and the Science Foundation Ireland.
The successful candidate will be focusing on topics such as the Social Web, the Semantic Web, Social Networks Analysis and Citizen Journalism. She/he would have a passion for Social/Citizen Journalism and the News and Media industry. She/he will be expected to participate in research activities and play a strong development role in the project.
Essential criteria for the applicant:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Informatics, or relevant subjects.
- Strong Java or Python programming skills.
- Minimum two years software development experience.
- Knowledge of software design, development and maintenance processes.
- Have experience in some, if not all, of the following:
- Semantic Web and Linked Data technologies
- Applied knowledge of the Social Web and online communities
- Social Network Analysis
- Stream processing
- XML, OWL, RDF, SPARQL
- Proven ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- The applicant should be creative and enthusiastic, with excellent communication skills.
Desirable – It is desirable that applicant will possess:
- A Masters or MPhil degree in Computer Science, Informatics or relevant subjects.
- A Masters degree in Journalism, Cummunication, Political Studies or relevant subjects.
- Familiarity with the news and media industry, knowledge of the news production process and preferably having worked in/with such organisation.
- Strong background in front- and backend Web application development.
- Experience of developing applications for news and media industry.
- Two year experience in a research group.
- Experience in / familiairity with the following is highly desirable:
- Digital/Online/Citizen Journalism
- Natural Language Processing
- Text Mining
- Data Visualisation
- Data Verification
- A good record of theoretical and applied research on the Social Web and the Semantic Web, warranted by a scientific publication record in workshops, conferences, journals and book chapters and/or awards in national or international challenges.
- Industrial experience and the ability to collaborate with industry partners.
- Experience in Web-related standardisation activities (including W3C) as both author and editor.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and scientific writing skills.
Salary range: €25,425 – €32,173 per annum.
This post is available from 1st October 2013 and is fixed term for 24 months.
For informal discussion about this post please contact: Bahareh.Heravi@deri.org.
To Apply: Applicants should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a list of publications, a research statement and the names and addresses of at least three referees, via email (text, postscript or PDF only) to: email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of applications is 8 September 2013.