The Digital Humanities and Journalism group at the INSIGHT National Centre for Data Analytics @NUI Galway is seeking an outstanding candidate for a Research Assistant or Research Associate position in the Social Semantic Journalism realm. The successful candidate will work on a project in collaboration with the Irish national broadcaster, RTÉ, on ‘social news detection and contextualisation’. The project is jointly funded by RTÉ and the Science Foundation Ireland.
The successful candidate will be focusing on software development and UX design. She/he would have a passion for Social Media mining, Linked Data and the News and Media industry.
Essential criteria for the applicant:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Informatics, or relevant subjects.
- Strong Java or Python programming skills.
- Strong front-end development and UX design skills.
- Minimum two years software development and UX design experience.
- Proven ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- The applicant should be creative and enthusiastic, with excellent communication skills.
Desirable – It is desirable that applicant will possess:
- A Masters or MPhil degree in Computer Science, Informatics or relevant subjects.
- A Masters degree in Journalism, Communication, Political Studies or relevant subjects.
- Familiarity with the news and media industry, knowledge of the news production process and preferably having worked in/with such organisation.
- Experience of developing applications for news and media industry.
- Experience in / familiarity with the following is highly desirable:
- Semantic Wen and Linked Data Technologies
- Social Network Analysis
- Stream Processing
- Digital/Online/Citizen Journalism
- Natural Language Processing
- Text Mining
- Data Visualisation
- A good record of theoretical and applied research on the Social Web and the Semantic Web, warranted by a scientific publication record in workshops, conferences, journals and book chapters and/or awards in national or international challenges.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and scientific writing skills.
Research Assistant: €25,425 – €32,173 per annum.
Research Associate: €37,750 – €40,000 per annum.
This post is available immediately and is fixed term until the end of September 2015.
For informal discussion about this post please contact: Bahareh.Heravi@insight-centre.org.
To Apply: Applicants should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a cover letter and the names and addresses of at least three referees, via email (text, postscript or PDF only) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Final date for accepting applications is 29 April 2015, however we will close the position as soon as it is filled.
Posted in: Jobs