The Insight Centre for Data Analytics at National University of Ireland, Galway (formerly known as DERI), is seeking an outstanding candidate for a Postdoctoral Researcher or a Research Associate in Social Media Mining for News and Data Journalism. The successful candidate will work within the Insight News Lab (Digital Humanities and Journalism group) at the Insight @NUIG, on a project on ‘a socially aware multimedia enrichment solution for journalists and newswire subscribers’, funded by the Science Foundation Ireland.
The Insight Centre for Data Analytics at NUI Galway (former DERI) hosts one of the most internationally-recognised Linked Data research groups in the world, and is dedicated to research aimed at enabling Networked Knowledge using Semantic Web technologies.
The successful candidate will conduct research in the area of social media mining, Linked Data applications, natural language processing and social event classification. She/he will have strong communication skills and be involved in the overall success of the group.
Additionally the successful candidate is expected to:
- Increase the international reputation of the research group and the institution through world-class research, publications, standards and applications through collaborations with academic and industry peer researchers.
- Contribute actively to the ongoing initiatives within the research group and the institute.
Essential criteria for the applicant:
- PhD in Computer Science, Information Systems, Informatics, or relevant subjects (Masters degree with considerable professional experience is accepted for Research Associate position).
- Evidence of participation in research grant acquisition (national and international, from public bodies or from industry) and the ability to help lead a research team.
- Minimum two years software development experience with strong Java or Python programming skills.
- Knowledge of software design, development and maintenance processes.
- Strong background in front- and backend Web application development.
- Have experience in some, if not all, of the following:
- Social Media Mining
- Natural Language Processing
- Social Network Analysis
- Semantic Web and Linked Data technologies
- Stream processing
- Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- The applicant should be creative and enthusiastic, with excellent communication skills.
It is desirable that applicant will possess:
- A Masters degree in Journalism, Communication, Political Studies or relevant subjects.
- International research experience.
- Experience working on project acquisition.
- Experience working in industry and developing commercial software products.
- Experience in / familiarity with the following is highly desirable:
- Natural Language Processing
- Text Mining
- A good record of theoretical and applied research on the Social Web and the Semantic Web and/or Data Journalism, warranted by a scientific publication record in workshops, conferences, journals and book chapters and/or awards in national or international challenges.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and scientific writing skills.
Salary range: €33,975 to €46,255 p.a. (10 points)
This post is available from 15th August 2015 and is full time for a fixed term for 9 months.
For informal discussion about this post please contact: Bahareh.Heravi@insight-centre.org
To Apply: Applicants should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a list of publications, a research statement and the names and addresses of at least three referees, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of applications is 9th August 2015.
About NUI Galway
The National University of Ireland, Galway is home to more than 15,000 students across five Colleges with highly active agendas in teaching and research.
The Insight Centre for Data Analytics is a joint initiative between researchers at NUI Galway, University College Dublin, University College Cork, and Dublin City University, as well as other partner institutions. It brings together a critical mass of more than 200 researchers from Ireland’s leading ICT centres to develop a new generation of data analytics technologies in a number of key application areas.
The €75m centre is funded by Science Foundation Ireland and a wide range of industry partners. Insight’s research focus encompasses a broad range of data analytics technologies and challenges, including machine learning & data mining, media analytics and optimisation and decision analytics, personalisation and recommender systems, the Semantic Web and Linked Data and the sensor web. And together with more than 30 partner companies Insight researchers are solving critical challenges in the areas of Connected Health and the Discovery Economy.
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.